Sunday, August 14, 2011

Kodak had a hypoglycemic incident yesterday....

Mom here,  yesterday around 1pm, kodak was lying on one of the kitty beds when he started to vomit. Unlike every other time, he was vomiting while laying on his side- I knew immediately something was up. I righted him so that he wouldnt choke and then stood him up to see how he was-he immediately was wobbly and disoriented and fell into a chair. I didnt panic, ok maybe I did just a bit, but I knew what i had to do. I grabbed him up and went to the kitchen to rub karo syrup on his gums. And jumped in the car to the vet!

They took him back immediately to check his vital which were normal. This was 1 pm. Now I went to my normal vet not the pet emergency. Unfortunately saturdays are super busy. And since I came in as an "urgent care patient" we had to wait for the first available doctor. Well, I wanted my vet since she was working yesterday! There was one urgent care patient ahead of we waited.

Around 2:30pm, Kodak started acting odd again. It was very subtle but I know his quirks, and this wasnt one of them! He started licking the blanket and sniffing it with his head going back and forth. I immediately knew something was wrong, so I put him down on the ground and he fell over right away. I tried again and he couldnt stand-so I took him up to the desk and told him he had to go back to see a nurse!

Thats when he had a bowl movement and they checked his blood glucose, which was LOW at 29. He stayed in the back being watched while I waited and waited. My vet closes at 4pm, so at 4pm I was finally shown a room. The nurse was inputing all the information  i had into the computer when my vet walked down the hall-she saw me and did a double take and came in the room. She asked who i was here with and I said Kodak.Then she asked the nurse what was wrong with kodak-she said blood glucose of 29. My wonderful vet said- "we can fix this!" "Don't worry!" And then she said do you want a first available vet or me, and I said her, since she knows his history! She checked his gums and then went off to her last appointment. We were alone in the room again and my poor boy pooped yet another time while he was lying on his side. He cried just a little bit before he did it.

When he was finally seen by my vet, he was admitted and immediately put on IV fluids with dextrose. She ran a CBC and other blood work. his kidney numbers were fine, actually his blood work looked great except that he is anemic. She also took a urine sample, which we get back today!

She gave me the option of him staying there and only having a person come into see him in the morning and evening (they are closed on sundays) or transferring him to the pet emergency where he would get 24 hour care/ I chose to transfer him.

So once he got his fluids and began to become a little more alert, I drove him to the pet emergency for the transfer. They checked him and then I talked to the vet. She gave me an estimate of the services a middle point and a high end (the high end was $1750) and I paid a deposit of $1100 and left my boy in their capable hands!

I called this morning to check on him. his blood glucose is up and he was given 1 unit of insulin (down from the 2 units he had been getting). He's lost 2 lbs since June, so my vet thinks that might be a contributing factor to his hypoglycemic incident yesterday! Of course the underlying question now is WHY has he lost 2 lbs since June??

He was alert this morning and showing interest in food! I will drop some of his food off with them and also go visit him during "visiting hours" and then talk to the vet later today to see if he can come home today or if he stays until tomorrow morning. She said ideally, she'd like to keep him until tomorrow morning.

So that is where it stands right now.My 15 year old boy is stable right now. He is scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday....I'm hoping they see nothing!! Please let this just been an incident and let the weight loss be from a urinary infection or the anemia!!


Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-0han, Vidock said...

We have been following this closely on FB already, but wanted to say that we are with you all in spirit. It sounds like Kodak is in excellent (but expensive.. yikes!) hands.We hope they can figure out what is the matter, treat him and he can come home asap.

The Chans

Fuzzy Tales said...

Oh, no, poor Kodak. :-(

We're sending our purrs and purrayers that he'll be okay. And that emerg vet "deposit" -- ouch. Puts pet health care out of reach for far too many humans, in our mom's view.

Paws crossed for him and sending you hugs.

William said...

Poor little boy--poor Mom, too! What an ordeal for you both. We all hope Kodak will be back home with you soon and that all will be well.

We agree with Fuzzy Tails' comment--the cost of health care for our kids is just astronomical, especially when there's some kind of medical event. We feel for you.

Grrreta said...

We're so sorry your sweet little guy had such a scary incident. We are purring very hard that Kodak will feel better soon.

Cheysuli and gemini said...

We are glad you are okay! Our purrs to you and your Mum after all that stress.

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Poor Kodak. What a trial for both of you. We send purrs and wags he will be home soon.

cwcwccw said...

Kodak we're praying & purring very hard to you & your mom.

jay boy
capu from Singapore